Why God Watches Over Bible Teachers and Students — Jeremiah 31

Jesus Christ sealed the agreement called the New Covenant when He died sacrificially and rose from the dead. Those who believe in Jesus Christ receive the benefits of this New Covenant.

These benefits include the fulfillment of this prophecy from Jeremiah 31:33-34 — “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. ‘I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, “Know the LORD,” because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,’ declares the LORD. ‘For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.’”

Because we know the Lord and His law is written in our minds and hearts, God watches over Bible teachers and students so He can work with them to “build up and to plant” (Jeremiah 31:28). As we study the Bible, the Holy Spirit plants God’s words in us, and prepares us, and will guide us so we can fulfill these words from the New Testament, “to build up and to plant.”

The Apostle Paul said, “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified” (Acts 20:32). We study and teach the Word of God, “the word of his grace,” to be built up and join with those God has set apart for His holy use (“those who are sanctified’) so we can build up others by sharing the Word of God with them. As we teach and share God’s word as teachers and students of the Word of God, some will come to know God for the first time; others will come to know God better and He will build them up.

Ponder these words from the Apostle Paul:

“Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up” (Romans 15:2).

“So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church” (1 Corinthians 14:12).

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing” (1 Thessalonians 5:11).

“So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ” (Ephesians 4:11-13).

God watches over you as you teach and study the Bible; so you and others will be built up as He plants the Word of God, truths from the Bible, in your heart and mind and in the hearts and minds of those who listen to your sharing the Bible with them.

What do you think? Let us know on the forum.

May God continue to bless your teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

For the love of God's Word,
L.G.