On Fighting Spiritual Battles from 2 Timothy 2:1-5

A Forum Member posted a question below: "Need information on a class I have to teach." I thought I would share the thoughts I prepared for him in this post for him and you who might find it interesting. These are just brief "top of mind" ideas that I hope he and others might find helpful. Actually, they are more like "seeds for further thought and teaching." Let's all pray for one another, for as teachers and students we all need prayers and we will all face spiritual battles!

(2 Timothy 2:1) You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

First, in facing his battles, Timothy had Paul for a mentor who looked upon him and loved him as his spiritual son or child. As a child, Paul knew Timothy had a lot more to learn, so Paul prayed for him, taught him, and wrote to him. In spiritual battles, we can find help from mature Christians, and mature Christians can pray for the Lord Jesus to help them find younger Christians they can help. Jesus also considers us His children, and He will help us and prepare us for our battles. He will also help us learn from our experiences.

Second, Timothy had to make a choice to be strong when facing temptations or spiritual battles. But, Paul wanted him to know that he did not face his spiritual battles alone. Paul could not always be with Timothy, but the Lord Jesus Christ could be with Timothy anywhere and everywhere. The Lord Jesus Christ would work within Timothy to help him face any of his spiritual enemies: that would be the grace of Jesus Christ working within Timothy to give him spiritual wisdom, love, and victories.

(2 Timothy 2:2) And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.

First, Paul had taught Timothy the truth of Jesus Christ, the good news, and the Christian faith. What Paul taught he learned from the Scriptures, from the Holy Spirit, and from prayer as well as other faithful believers; and what Paul wrote became a part of the New Testament. Many people heard and believed the truths Paul taught. Paul did not teach some secret, special knowledge only for a select few. Paul wanted Timothy to find other believers that he could teach these same truths to in more detail. In some way with the help of the Holy Spirit, reliable people would become qualified to teach others what Paul taught Timothy.

Second, these believers that Timothy taught would become prayer warriors and fellow Bible teachers, and together they would help one another fight their spiritual battles.

(2 Timothy 2:3) Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

First, some spiritual battles will include suffering mentally, physically, and spiritually. Paul wrote about facing slander, and the process of being slandered hurts in many ways. Christians must be willing to suffer, even be slandered, for teaching the truth of Jesus Christ and trying to obey Him and the Bible’s teachings. Our suffering should be no surprise to us and we can strengthen ourselves when we remind ourselves: Jesus suffered for His faithful obedience; Paul suffered for his faith and obedience, and we probably know of many strong Christians who have suffered for their faithfulness.

Second, we need to remember that God has called us to spiritual warfare. All believers need to choose to be good soldiers of Jesus Christ if they are going to have a hope of victory when they face the battles that will surely come their way. Our spiritual armor is for facing forward not fleeing from the battle. Good soldiers do their duty.

(2 Timothy 2:4) No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.

Briefly, live and fight to please Jesus Christ, our commanding officer.

(2 Timothy 2:5) Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor's crown except by competing according to the rules.

Briefly, live and fight according to the rules that Jesus and the New Testament teach.

Comments

• Thanks you input is very much appreciated, may God bless you