Making Bible Truths Impact Our Hearts — Philippians 2:9-11

Please read again these three verses: “Therefore God has highly exalted him [Jesus Christ] and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9-11).

As we read the words above with faith, deep reverence, and try to fathom their meaning, their truths impact our minds and the Holy Spirit helps us understand them better. To have the truths of these words become even more real to us, they need to impact our hearts and make a difference in how we live. Please let me suggest one way of reading these and other truths in the Bible in ways that can impact our hearts and help us live as Jesus Christ intends. Below is one example:

First. Since God has highly exalted Jesus, we need to consciously exalt Jesus too by deciding to praise Him, promote Him and His message, and pray for the Holy Spirit to help us live according to His example. Any of us can praise Jesus now for what He has done for us. We can pray now for Jesus to help us understand His message in the Scriptures so we can more effectively share His good news with others. And we can pray now that the Holy Spirit will make the truths in the Bible so real to us that we begin to live like Jesus and demonstrate by our improvements that His words are true.

Second. Since God has bestowed on Jesus the name that is above every name, and since there is no name greater than God’s name, we need to approach Jesus as He is. Jesus is our God and the Father is our God and the Holy Spirit is our God (One God in Three Persons). Among other statements expressing these truths, Jesus declared: “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9). Therefore, we can pray to God the Father and to God the Son and give them all the praise, glory, and honor they deserve. We can bring our prayer requests to both in prayer. We can ask the Holy Spirit to help us pray when we do not know how to pray.

Third. Since at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, we should mentally, morally, and spiritually (if not also physically) bow our knees at the feet of Jesus. As Christians, every day we need to see ourselves as subjects of our Great King and the King of the universe, we need to tell Jesus every day that we give our total allegiance to Him day and night. We need to pledge to Jesus our faithful obedience to Him, we need to ask Him to help us make any and all changes in our lives that He would expect any loyal servant to make in His behalf. Jesus declared: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15).

Fourth. When given the opportunity or when we make the opportunity as the Holy Spirit leads us, we need to encourage others to bow before Jesus too. As Paul wrote: “every knee should bow [before Jesus], in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.” We can pray now that each moment of the day, with the help of the Holy Spirit, we live with the knowledge and understanding that we not only confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, but we also demonstrate that Jesus Christ is our Lord by the way we live. In this way, our testimony before others becomes authentic.

Fifth. We submit to Jesus as our Lord to bring glory to God the Father. Why bring glory to God the Father? “Because God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Jesus is Lord. Jesus is exalted above every name. And Jesus also wants to be our Savior. Through faith in Jesus we can enjoy fellowship with Jesus now and forever, and we can have every one of the truths in the Bible impact our hearts when we truly take Jesus seriously and submissively for Who He is. By doing these things, we can consciously bring glory to our Heavenly Father.

Receive our periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others. I add new members manually by hand (nothing automatic here); hopefully, every time I am near a computer I can add new members, but sometimes it does take 2 or 3 days (sorry for any delays!).

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God’s Word and His people,
L.G.