How to Keep Your Mind Set on Following Jesus — Philippians 3

Paul described two types of people. First, those whose minds are set on earthly things. Second, those whose minds are set on Jesus and their citizenship in heaven. Paul described the set of his mind in Philippians 3:14, “I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.”

One example of a “mindset” is a person who has set their mind on going to London. They will make all the necessary preparations to the best of their knowledge and set off. Along the way, they may change their mindset, and chose to go to Tokyo instead. So, they turn around and go in the direction toward Tokyo. As long as their mind is set on Tokyo, they will continue traveling to Tokyo. They will change the course or the direction of their lives, fully committing to keep their mind set on Tokyo—hoping to get there. Too many harmful or unnecessary detours along the way or changing mindsets and turning back toward London may prevent them from arriving at Tokyo. Their time or resources may run out.

The Bible tells people to change their mindsets. Everyone needs to turn from all their false gods and sinful mindsets and turn to Jesus and set their minds on following Jesus. We need to set our minds on staying as close to Jesus as we can, and if we take a detour or temporarily turn back and do something earthly and sinful, as quickly as we can we need to ask Jesus to forgive us and help us return to keeping our mind set on Jesus and “the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.”

Jesus is our Great King, and if we are Christians, the Great King of the universe is also our Great Friend. As our Great Friend, Jesus will help us keep our minds set on Him, on following Him and His heavenly destiny for us. Furthermore, if we are Christians, and if we stray from Jesus, like a sheep that wanders from the fold, Jesus will come and help us return to keeping our mind set on following Him. If necessary, He will even pick us up and carry us back to the fold.

As I thought about writing this forum post, a wonderful hymn I learned many years ago came into my mind, which I believe the Holy Spirit reminded me of to help me keep my mind set on Jesus instead of earthly things—and to pass on to you. Perhaps you know it. If not, it is well worth the effort to memorize so you can sing the first verse at least when you are tempted to change your mindset from Jesus to earthly things.

I Have Decided to Follow Jesus

I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

The world behind me, the cross before me;

Though none go with me, still I will follow;

My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;

Will you decide now to follow Jesus?

You can find the sheet music (which you may not need) and the tune for “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus” at Timeless Truths

https://library.timelesstruths.org/music/I_Have_Decided_to_Follow_Jesus/

If you download and play the midi [.mid] file, the tune is easy to learn and no sheet music is needed.

Please let us know on the Forum, if you like the song and try teaching this song to your class and how they liked it.

Receive our periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others. I add new members manually by hand (nothing automatic here); hopefully, every time I am near a computer I can add new members, but sometimes it does take 2 or 3 days (sorry for any delays!).

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God’s Word and His people,
L.G.