When You Are Weary from Teaching

Weariness is caused by strenuous mental, spiritual, and physical work, which often leads someone to think they should give up or quit what they are doing. Weariness can also come from unrealized expectations and sorrow, which can accompany teaching. The Psalmist prayed to God: “My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word” (Psalms 119:28). 

God is the One who will use the Word of God to strengthen us when we are weary. Isaiah wrote: “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak” (Isaiah 40:29). Sometimes we just need to talk to ourselves as Agur did: “I am weary, God, but I can prevail” (Proverbs 30:1). Sometimes we need words of encouragement from an apostle who no doubt was often weary. The Apostle Paul wrote: “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up” (Galatians 6:9). 

Jesus told us what to do whenever we feel weary for whatever reason: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). We most especially need to go to Jesus if we are ever in a situation or society like the one Jeremiah described: “Friend deceives friend, and no one speaks the truth. They have taught their tongues to lie; they weary themselves with sinning” (Jeremiah 9:5). Christian teaching is especially necessary in a society like the one God called Jeremiah to teach and call to repentance. Whenever we think of quitting teaching because we are weary, we can think of the sorrow Jeremiah experienced as he kept on preaching.

Whenever we think of quitting teaching because of weariness, think most especially of Jesus. Jesus taught the Word of God and was crucified for teaching the truth. If you ever think of quitting because of weariness, the Scriptures tell us to: “Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:3). 

When talking to a minister recently about weariness, he reminded me of Paul’s words to Archippus: “See to it that you complete the ministry you have received in the Lord” (Colossians 4:17). If you are weary and thinking about quitting teaching because of your weariness, pray and ask God and yourself what ministry God is calling you to pursue if you quit teaching. If you quit teaching, you need to follow the call of God into a different ministry that “you have received in the Lord.” 

God has called all Christians into some type of ministry. As a former teacher, God may call you into a prayer ministry instead of a teaching ministry. God may call you to pray for a new Bible teacher and all the students he or she is teaching. Most revivalists would not have led very many to return to faithful obedience to Jesus Christ if there had not be prayer warriors with them. If you are weary from teaching, do not give up. If you quit teaching, be following the call of God into a new ministry instead of following your feelings of weariness.

If you are feeling weary from teaching, I hope some of these Bible truths will encourage you to keep on teaching. I pray God’s sustaining grace will give you endurance and strength according to His Word.

May God bless your Bible study and teaching in the days and weeks ahead!

L.G.

Comments