Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private Worship and Preparing to Teach

As I was studying Psalms 148 a few weeks ago, I discovered that I was spending a great deal of time in private Bible study and very little time in private worship. My spiritual life was becoming impoverished. Maybe you have felt this way from time to time, or maybe some in your Bible or Sunday school class have felt this way. Perhaps the ideas below will be helpful to someone.

Here is what I did, and I can report that I have truly begun to worship God in a better way. I am going to define worship here as spending quality time with God because God is worthy to be praised, rather than worshiping God in order to receive a blessing from God.

I found an old hymnal published in 1953 with hymns from the 17th to the 20th centuries. It also has responsive readings for worship that I had used for many years before the hymnal was replaced.

I printed on a separate piece of paper the familiar hymn to me, “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty,” which can be found in different versions on the internet. I also printed out “The Apostles Creed.” So, my worship time now includes singing in my mind’s ear “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty” each day, reading the responsive readings (4 of them each day from the Old and New Testament), reciting “The Apostles Creed,” and singing or reading two hymns in the hymnal, followed by prayer and Bible reading and study. I am going through the hymns in a way to eventually read or sing all of them in my mind’s ear, and I am finding true meaning from old hymns that I had never sung before.

If you have any suggestions for daily worship (which I am seeing as different from a time of devotional reading and prayer), please share them with all of us here on the IBL Forum. If you try any of the ideas above, I hope you find them helpful. Let us know.

May God continue to bless your worship, study, and Bible teaching in this New Year!

For the Love of God’s Word,
L.G.