Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing for the Truth: Teaching from Exodus 3

Many still want to know if something is true or not. Moses faced a similar problem after God met him at the burning bush. Moses also wanted to know God’s name so he could tell the Hebrews that the God who had spoken to him was not a false pagan god or a familiar Egyptian god, but the true God.

God told Moses in Exodus 3:6 “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob,” and in Exodus 3:14 “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Moses and the people needed to decide if the true God had actually revealed himself to Moses. To know the truth, they could compare what God had revealed to Moses (including what God planned to do through Moses) with what the true God had revealed in the past to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as passed down to them from their fathers. Over time, most of the Hebrews agreed that the true God had revealed Himself to Moses. They saw God (I AM) acting as God had acted in the lives of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; then, they accepted the fact that Moses had indeed spoken to the true God of their ancestors.

Today, we will come closer to knowing the truth and to distinguishing truth from error by comparing what we have learned and know about God (His ways and words) from the Bible to what we hear or read being taught by others. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and God will not contradict himself as the years go by.

What do you think? What are some ways we can know the truth and distinguish truth from error today? You might discuss with your class how they know something is true or false in this age of fake news and misinformation. For me, the only truth I can be absolutely sure of is truth of the Bible.

Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

May God bless your Bible study this week and/or your teaching this Sunday!
L.G.