Who We Are As Teachers : A Lesson from Acts 9

If someone who had never seen us asked us to send them an e-mail describing ourselves, what characteristics might we include? Our hair and eye color? Our height? Our background and education? Our age? What we enjoy? Our hobbies? Where we go to church?

How does God see us? How would the Lord Jesus describe us as teachers? Since God has called us to teach the Bible, I believe Jesus would speak of us as He did the Apostle Paul. We are His chosen instruments to proclaim His name. Jesus told Ananias about Saul/Paul, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name” (Acts 9:15-16).  

As teachers of the Bible, we are or should be where Jesus has sent us. And let us not forget as we prepare our lessons and teach that we will probably suffer for the name of Jesus. Throughout history we know of many who have suffered as they taught and because they taught about Jesus and the truth of the Bible. None of us are exempt from the possibility of suffering if we teach the Bible. One thing that keeps us keeping on in the face of opposition and pain is the certain knowledge that we are Jesus' chosen instruments to proclaim His name and teach the truth of His Word!

For the love of God's Word,
L.G.